During the process of conducting our recent twitter contests, we stumbled upon some freebies, contests and sweepstakes that we thought would appeal to just about any bike rider, cycling enthusiast or velo ambassador out there.
While these are only a handful of the many bike-related opportunities available at any given moment, we hope they will inspire you to keep the wheels turning and remain active in both your online and local cycling communities.
- This one’s for the ladies: did you know that there’s a bicycle designed specifically to meet the needs of female road cyclists? It’s called the Terry Symmetry bicycle, and it’s designed by Georgena Terry. Did you know that you can win one simply by entering your email address? Well, Terry Bicycles is offering the chance to do just that, here: http://wildfireapp.com/website/6/contests/87701?ogn=website. The approximate retail value of prize is $1069.00 – $1,229.00. Contest ends February 22, 2011 @ 11:59 pm (EST).
- In Portland the folks at Bike Gallery bike shops are hosting the last of their four Free Flat Fix Fridays on January 28. Simply bring your flat tire to any of their six locations the Portland Metro area on the 28th and they will install a new tube for no charge. As stated on their website, “‘We understand it takes a commitment to ride through the winter months, this is our way of saying thanks for being out there. And if you are a fair-weather cyclist who has hung up the bike for the winter, we want to help get you and your bike ready for the warmer spring weather.” We like the spirit and dedication, and applaud Bicycle Gallery for their efforts. Find more information at http://www.bikegallery.com/blog/2011/free-flat-fix-fridays/.
- Many bike riders double as skiers and snowboarders during when the snow starts falling. If you’re one of those people who love the snow, be sure to enter Whistler Blackcomb’s Dream Ski Vacation contest … but only if you truly “Love Snow.” The perks on this one are unbelievable: Whistler Heli-Skiing adventure for two, 5 nights at The Fairmount Chateau Whistler, Lift Tickets for 4 days, travel, meals, equipment rentals, food and much more. To enter the contest visit http://wildfireapp.com/website/6/contests/58442?ogn=website and follow the directions which are basically to “profess your love for snow by posting a comment and, if you can, a photo that demonstrates just how much you adore snow.” Contest ends February 28, 2011 @ 11:59 pm (PST).
- And then there are the bike riders who prefer to go down hills on two wheels (minus all the freezing and snow). Mountain Bikers – this one’s for you: The winner of the Flip Winter The Bird sweepstakes gets to choose their favorite hot weather destination and enjoy seven+ days of singletrack mountain biking and much more in Mexico, Guatemala, Chile, or Argentina – with a friend! Entering is easy here: http://wildfireapp.com/website/6/contests/60805?ogn=website. Sweepstakes ends February 11, 2011 @ 11:59 pm (EST). If you win, you’ll choose one of the following:
- Mountain Biking (MTB) + Yoga in Mexico
- MTB + Mayan culture in Guatemala
- MTB + surfing in Chile
- MTB and whitewater rafting in Patagonia
- Street Smarts San Ramon Valley is hosting the seventh annual storybook poster contest where elementary school students get to compete to have their illustrations featured in a valley-wide storybook about traffic safety. According to Eric Louie at the Contra Costa Times, “The story, ‘The Great Zoo Escape,’ has animals escaping from the zoo. Students must bring the animals to the school safely. Along the way they learn about pedestrian safety, bicycle safety and the benefits of walking or bicycling to school. Ten illustrations will be selected. The book will be distributed to thousands of students in the San Ramon Valley. Each winner will get a bicycle safety kit, art kit, and a $40 Target gift card. The winning artwork and final storybook will be unveiled at the Street Smarts Storybook Poster Contest Awards Ceremony on March 10 in San Ramon.” As stated on their website, “The Street Smarts traffic safety storybook showcases the artistic talent that exists in the San Ramon Valley while fostering the learning of traffic safety principles.” Visit http://www.street-smarts.com/programs/poster_contest.htm for full Contest Rules and downloadable entry form. The deadline to enter is Feb. 7
Know of any other bike or helmet-related contests or freebies? We’d love to hear about them … so leave a comment below!